Page 40

1-October-2016

38 HISTORYZONE SO VERY DIFFERENT So far, there have been three generations of the Yaris, and the 2016 model could not be more different to the first one of 1999. In less than 20 years of development, both CO2 emission and fuel consumption levels have almost halved, even if weight and power output are up. The drag coefficient (Cd), which indirectly contributes to the car’s environmental performance, has improved from Cd 0.30 to 0.286. A car doesn’t draw its green credentials only on the road. The way a car is produced is equally important, and the Yaris is a poster child of eco credentials. At Toyota Motor Manufacturing France (TMMF), where the Yaris is produced, the plant has been designed to leave the smallest environmental footprint possible. In some workshops, the storage areas are up to 10 times more compact compared to automotive industry standards with similar production output. Visually, the low building has been discreetly integrated into the landscape. In 2007, TMMF was named one of the first five fully sustainable Toyota plants around the world, making the French plant an industrial benchmark, in terms of environmental performance, for all other plants of the Toyota Group. The French plant consumes 90% less industrial water today than in 2002, the first full year of production, and can run without drawing any water from the network – just using rain and recycled water. Around 60% of it is rainwater that is collected in the two on-site basins with a combined volume of 16 000m³. It flows through the plant’s water treatment system to meet the required standards before being used in the production process. The remaining 40% is water that is recycled from the plant’s waste water after pretreatment in the same watertreatment system. As the water is processed both before and after usage in the production system, its BELOW: More than three million Yaris models have been produced at Toyota Motor Manufacturing France (TMMF) at Valenciennes in the north of France. Today it is a completely self-sustaining plant. quality exceeds the environmental norms and excess water can be safely released into the neighbouring river, the Scheldt. The Yaris manufacturing facility has always been a plant with zero waste to landfill, but since 2007 it has been successfully reclaiming 100% of its waste. Since 2001, any waste is carefully either reused, recycled or recovered. Industrial oils and paint thinners are collected for reuse or regeneration, steel and aluminium make new raw materials, wood, cardboard and plastic wrappings are recycled, and the small amount of waste that is left is used as an alternative fuel source. Despite energy consumption already being very low, owing to the compact building concept, the Yaris plant has managed to reduce the energy consumption by 57% compared to 2002, thanks to close monitoring, smart insulation, and savings on lighting. As a groundbreaking eco car, this makes the modern-day Yaris a true Toyota people’s car of which the company is justly proud.


1-October-2016
To see the actual publication please follow the link above